Caliach Vision V5.00 introduced a major change from Omnis Local Datafile (OND) data storage to Client-Server (SQL) Database data storage. This was a significant internal and external change that radically improves the scalability and reliability of the system.
The change internally meant doing away with the Omnis current record buffer (CRB) that was integral to the OND but had it’s roots in very early PC program techniques and thus exhibits little of modern encapsulated programming techniques. About 45% of the V4.1x lines of program code needed to be re-written in the project and every report had to be restructured.
Key things to know
If you have been using Caliach Vision before V5 was released you will need to migrate to V5. It is not a simple upgrade process at all. The following are requirements:
- All report customisation must be rebuilt from new V5 OpenVision standards. A special assistance tool is provided. Conversion is not practical. Other customisation has to be professionally migrated including all report overwritten superclass methods and anything in oCustom1.
- Any previous Sales Document Configurations, Data Views, Ad Hoc Graphs and most User Search designs will need modification.
- Custom Data may need renaming before migration from V4.1xxx.
- V5 data can only migrate from V4.10xx data. So a multistage data migration may be needed if you are not currently running on V4.1xxx.
- If you have Translate, Language, Help or WishBug customisation the Migration Tool can migrate it with no loss.
- There is little program functional changes between V4.1xx and V5.00xx, however having made this transition functional enhancements that were prohibitive earlier are now possible with appropriate server power.
- V5.00 runs under Omnis Studio V6.10 which will run under Windows 8.1 and OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). The minimum
requirement is Windows 7 or OS X 10.7 (Lion).
- Versions before V5.0 are not supported on Windows 8.1 or OSX 10.10.
The following is a upgrading checklist. It is not exhaustive because circumstances may differ from business to business. It is a guide:
TIP: You are strongly recommended to do a trial run to reassure yourself that it all works and to gauge the time that stages take. The data migration process is relatively fast if there are no errors encountered. Even with a multi-gigabyte data file this can be completed within a working day. But fixing errors caused by corrupt data can slow the process radically.
WARNING: This is all an irreversible process so take backups at every stage. You can do a trial run but once you go live with your users there is no way back.
- Your datafile must be running on V4.10xx, if it is not you must upgrade it by installing V4.10xx. If it is earlier than V4.0, use Omnis design without running Caliach Vision to open the datafile so that Unicode conversion can take place, and then close. Then open with Caliach Vision V4.10 to complete.
- Unless you are using SQLite, download, install and test your chosen server engine software. Setup appropriate users in it with appropriate security settings. At least initially keep user security as liberal as possible. Data migration needs a user with all privileges granted.
- Any customisation should be available at this time.
- Download and install Caliach Vision V5.00xx and test it on the provided TrainingDemo.db SQLite database. Exit Caliach Vision.
- Open the Upgrading/V4to5Migration.lbs tool. Go through the wizard to load your V4.10 data into your chosen database. This can also create custom data ProgUser.db customisation, migrate custom auxiliary data and setup appropriate Logon.db and Terminal.inf settings. For more details on the Migration Tool and process go to www.caliach.com/caliach/support/knowledge/.
- If you have custom data structures these need to be integrated with the ProgUser.db content just created into your OpenVision with your other customisation (typically this would have already been done on a trial run or during customisation rebuild).
- When this process is complete without error, you are good to go!
Caliach can provide a package of services for those without the resources to upgrade themselves. These include typically:
- Review of site customisation to estimate the work involved in migration to V5 standards.
- Migration of customisation in readiness for migration to V5.
- Test migration of your data and advice on repair of corruption if any in readiness for migration to V5.
- Prepare a plan for site migration with agreed timetable.
- Installation of software, assistance with download and installation of server software. Setting up the server with initial users and communications. Verifying the installation.
- Data migration, customisation installation, Verification of operational completeness.
- Data clensing.
- Operations monitoring and customisation testing and problem resolution.
- System Manager and User training.
The first 4 above can typically be carried out off-site.
|See also: –|
Compiled in Program Version 5.10. Help data last modified 7 Jan 2015 09:14:00.00. No class.